Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day


This morning I told the class there would be some new rules in the classroom. I first started by saying that only girls could sit in chairs. Boys had to stand.

Then I posted signs around the room. Only kids with brown hair could use the smartboard, only kids with blue eyes could read the books in the reading center, and only girls could use the computer.

As we were playing smartboard games I pulled sticks and called names, however, if they didn't have brown hair they weren't allowed to play.

Then I told them we were going to read and take AR tests on the computer. Many of them, still stunned, said things like, "I have brown eyes so I can't read the books" or "I'm a boy so I can't take an AR test on the computer". When I wouldn't change the rules, Kennedy said, "But God made us this way".

They were even sad for their friends who were left out. I looked around the room and saw them putting their arms around each other. Their little faces looked confused.

I said, "I notice some of you are having trouble with some of the new rules." I pulled them back together as a group and they explained how they felt about the signs. Then I showed them this sign on the smartboard:
I explained that this was one of many signs that used to hang in some places in the United States.
I was in tears looking at their little faces. They were so saddened and surprised by this. I really didn't expect them to feel so compassionate about this topic, but they really got it!

I told them more about Martin Luther King, Jr. and his life. I also read them a story called "Martin's BIG Words" by Doreen Rappaport.
He said, "Hate cannot drive out hate. Only love can do that."

Tristen said this means "Don't fight with fists, fight with love" and Zane said, "Love is more powerful than hate."

I said, "When people are mean to you it doesn't help to be mean back", Wilson added, "No, it usually just makes them meaner."
We also looked at 2 eggs. One was white and one was green. We talked about the similarities and differences. The only difference they could see was the color. We cracked them open and learned that they were the same on the inside.
Regan said, "Even if the outside doesn't look the same the inside still does." We learned that we should judge people, not on the color of their skin, but the content of their character.

I asked some of the kids their thoughts about what they've learned.

Mallorie said, "It was mean that the white people could do everything that the black people couldn't do." She also added, "It would be sad if my baby sister got treated different than us and didn't get treated normal."


Tristen said, "I feel sad about his (Martin) childship and how he got treated as a kid, but I'm happy now that blacks aren't treated that way."


Tanner said, "I felt sad about the new rules in the classroom, like A.R. I felt sad that my buddies couldn't get better." Then he said, "I think the black people felt mad when they saw those signs and wished they could do what white people do."


Kennedy said, "I was sad when only blue eyes could get books because I have brown eyes. It made me feel sad about the white only signs because they couldn't use the same bathrooms and girls probably had to go in the bathroom with the boys."

In a confident voice Zane said, "If Martin Luther King, Jr. hadn't changed the laws I would have. He was a good man. He did things in a kind way with no war."

All of the kids talked about how they could treat others nicely at recess, or anywhere, no matter what their color, handicap, or personality! We should be kind to everyone.
This group of kids is so kind-hearted. They totally got the message of this lesson. These young people will change the world and make it a better place. I have no doubt about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment